Governor of Lagos State, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Monday 19th of October 2020 inaugurated eight (8) man Judicial Panel to investigate complaint of Police brutality in the state.
Following the #ENDSARS protest going on in Lagos and other part of the country, the Lagos Government newly inaugurated panel will in the next 24 hours be joined by 2 youth representatives and a member of the National Human Rights Commission as they look to provide restitution while following due process.
Read full statement
As we move to end police brutality, by virtue of Section 5 of Tribunals of Inquiry Law, Laws of Lagos State, 2015, I inaugurated an 8-man Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution which will receive and investigate complaints of police brutality in Lagos.
The panel will in the next 24 hours be joined by 2 youth representatives and a member of the National Human Rights Commission as we look to provide restitution while following due process.
In Lagos, beyond setting up this panel which we hope will serve as a representation of our broader interests, we have established a N200 million fund for compensation to families and individuals who have been victimized by officers of the disbanded SARS.
Orderly room trials of erring policemen resulting in dismissals, demotions and more severe punishment for human rights violations have begun.
We have also started engaging with protesters and all sides affected in all this.
We have witnessed the protests of our youth against police brutality. The pain of this generation has been felt in various parts of our state and country, as well as in the diaspora, all speaking with one voice against the unbridled violation of their rights and lives
I am on the side of the young people out there. I understand your pain and I know your concerns are legitimate.
I must reiterate that while we were able to immediately acquiesce to some of your demands, some will require time: we ask you to bear with us as we work on them.
I will like to renew my appeal to you to suspend the protests and create an atmosphere for the resolution of all pending demands.
I encourage everyone brutalized by the disbanded SARS including the families of those who have died to present their cases before this Panel.
- Don’t let anyone rush you or make you anxious, Says Lateef Adedimeji November 24, 2020
- America President-elect Joe Biden publicly apologises to late George Floyd daughter November 24, 2020
- You are the newest version of God’s Glory, Genesis Global alleged, John Bada responded November 20, 2020
- JUST IN: CCC Global Genesis Founder, Isreal Oladele Jailed For Defrauding UK-Based Woman November 18, 2020
- Man accused wife of witchcrafts and caged her for 4 years November 17, 2020
- Man Calls For Access Bank Costumer To Close Their Account November 14, 2020
- SIGNAL FROM DIA HAS PUT A BOUNTY ON MY HEAD – SOWORE November 11, 2020
- John Bada Talks About Couple Making Love Before Going To Church November 10, 2020
- Bad Mouth Ikale Comedian To Perform Live On Stage In December November 10, 2020
- JUST IN: MAN FOUNDS DEAD AT OBA AKRAN WAY November 6, 2020